Agriculture Minister Damien O’Connor has announced the 10 members of the newly established taskforce to respond to the animal welfare issues associated with the practice of winter grazing.
The members are:
- Independent Chair: Dr John Hellstrom, ONZM
- Dr Arnja Dale, Chief Scientific Adviser, SPCA
- Dr Helen Beattie, Chief Veterinary Officer, NZ Veterinary Association
- Dr Stephen Hopkinson, dairy cattle vet & NZ Veterinary Association
- Angus Robson, environment campaigner
- Dr Ross Monaghan, Senior Scientist, AgResearch
- Elaine Cook, Dairy NZ
- Dave Harrison, Beef+Lamb NZ
- Ewen Mathieson, dairy farmer, Southland
- Pania King, sheep & beef farmer, Gisborne
Mr O’Connor said his expectation was that the task force will take stock of the multiple initiatives already under way to promote good winter grazing practices and identify why these are not currently working for all. Then it must identify actions to enable farmers to do what should be done.
“The taskforce will draw on advice and expertise from various groups and individuals across the country who can inform and challenge the taskforce’s thinking”.
The group will provide an initial report back to the Minister by the end of August and will work on a plan of action by the end of September.
Source: Minister of Agriculture